If you're one of the many Americans who owns a best rated above ground pool, you know how important it is to purchase the right above ground pool ladders.
On the other hand, if you're in the market for your first above ground pool, it's critical to consider your different ladder options before you purchase your pool.
You don't need a pool stair or ladder to enter a pool, but it certainly makes the process much more comfortable!
Many Americans who own pools invest in ladders to make accessing their pool much more convenient.
However, with so many different options currently available on the market, you might be having a hard time deciding which one is right for you.
Being spoiled for choice is always a good thing, but it's still critical to choose the right pool ladder for your specific swimming pool.
In this guide, we'll be taking a more in-depth look at pool ladders and the different features you need to keep in mind when making a purchasing decision.
Above Ground Pool Ladders for Decks
Many people choose to build decks around their above step to add to the permanence of the appearance.
If you have a deck, or you're planning on purchasing one when you get your new pool, you won't need to worry as much about buying a pool stairs to get into the pool.
If it doesn't have some type of a stair system, you need to make sure the pool steps you purchase is compatible with your deck.
Fortunately, there are a variety of different manufacturers that provide pool steps for those who already have a deck in place.
Above Ground Pool Ladders Without a Deck
If you don't have a decking in place, you need a ladder that can help you access the swimming pool directly from the ground. You'll also need help in leaving the pool and re-entering your yard.
In many ways, it's is much more necessary on a swimming pool without a decking.
As you can probably tell, these types of ladders are slightly different from ones you'd purchase if you had a decking.
In some cases, you may have to pay a bit of extra money for this kind of pool stair.
Types of Above Ground Pool Ladders
In addition to the two apparent variations above, there are also a few different types of ladders for your pool that you'll need to keep your eyes out for when shopping.
If you want to purchase the ladder that's most suited to your preferences, make sure to consider the different options that we'll explore below.
Above Ground Pool Ladder
While this is another obvious category to consider, it's important to note that not all pool access points come in the shape or form of a pool ladder or pool steps. That said, pool ladders tend to be one of the most common options.
Keep your eye out for a wide variety of pool ladder types, including A-frame pool ladders. If you have a particular pool ladder design in mind, don't worry — there are tons of unique options to choose from.
Above Ground Pool Steps
Another standard option is the pool steps, also known as pool stairs. This is a common option for those who need easier access.
It may be much more straightforward than climbing a ladder. If older people or small children will use your pool, this is always an excellent option to consider.
While this isn't specifically a stair, you'll find it included with some of the more premium pool entry products. If you want to add safety and practicality to your swimming pool's entry system, it's an excellent idea to purchase a stair or ladder system with a gate.
This is especially true if you have young children who may attempt to enter the pool when you're not looking!
Best Pool Ladders for Above Ground Pools
As mentioned previously, there are tons of excellent pool ladders currently available to consumers. If you want to purchase the perfect ladder for your pool, it's critical that you look at a wide variety of options.
Fortunately, you can order many of the best pool ladders directly online. This saves you the hassle of finding pool supplies store in your area.
Below, we'll take a closer look at some of the best options currently circulating on the market.
Make sure to sort your options, consider your preferences, your pool type, and the reputation of each of the pool ladders on this list!
Confer Plastics Pool Ladder
This ladder is brought to you by one of the most significant names in the pool ladder industry, Confer Plastics.
This product is one of their most popular pool steps products for American pool owners. Let's take a closer look at this product.
- NO WORRIES - Getting in and out of your pool just got a whole lot easier! No longer will you have to worry about your pool ladder tipping over or you slipping and missing...
- SAFETY FIRST - Includes mounting brackets to safely secure the ladder to your pool or deck. Each wide step has a dimension of 10 inches x 27 inches so there is no way you...
- INSTALLATION IS A BREEZE - This ladder works for all above ground pools with flat bottoms. Snap together pieces makes for an easy installation. To prevent the ladder from...
- Up to 60" pool height
- Functions with flat bottom pool
- Works with both swimming pools and decks
- Weight capacity of 400 lbs.
- Reasonable price
This Confer Plastics ladder provides easy exit and entry to flat bottom pools. While this is branded as a ladder, it's actually a sort of step system. If you're in search for a pool stair that's easier to install in your pool, this is one of your best options. It works with any pool up to 60" tall.
If you want to prevent the steps from shifting or floating in your pool, you can deposit sand or other weighted materials into the pool steps to weigh it down. The pool also comes with mounting brackets that help secure the ladder to the side of the pool and prevent movement.
Lastly, it comes with a side railing that assists with climbing the steps. It also adds an extra layer of safety.
- From one of the best brands in the industry
- Easy installation process
- Lightweight design
- Large weight capacity of 400 lbs
- An expensive option
- Only one-sided (not A-frame)
- Only functions well with flat bottom pools
Confer Above Pool Curve Base Steps
If you don't like the previous Confer pool steps on this list and you want to search for something unique, the curve base steps model might be a bit more suitable for your preferences. Let's dive a little deeper.
- QUALITY STAIR STEPS: Above ground swimming pool entry steps make it easy to enter and exit the pool. Handrails included for increased safety
- WEIGHT CAPACITY: Features a 400-pound weight limit for maximum strength, safety, and durability
- SIZE: Dimensions (L x W x H): 38.1 x 9.8 x 34.2 inches | Height to top tread: 47 inches | Handrail height (from top step): 30 inches
- Four steps
- Made from a robust plastic resin
- Rounded design with tread grooves
- Five-year warranty included
This curve base model of the Confer pool step is one of the most unique designs you'll find. If you don't find the rigid structure of traditional steps attractive, this is an excellent option. It employs four grooved steps to help people exit and enter pools.
Like most of Confer's products, this pool stair system is easily installed. In fact, you only need to click it together to set it up. You can trust this product to carry a large weight load. It's currently capable of handling 400 lbs.
Made from durable plastic resin, you can count on this step system to retain less heat than the steel or aluminum options on the market. Lastly, you'll also benefit from a five-year warranty that protects you from manufacturer issues.
- Produced by a trusted brand
- Seamless design with the added benefit of durable tread
- Long warranty
- Adjustable base pads
- Can easily stabilize with sand or gravel
- Can handle heavy weight (400 lbs.)
- Price is quite high
- A rounded design might not be everyone's preference
Champlain Plastics Drop-in Step/Ladder for Above Ground Pool
This Champlain Plastics drop-in step provides swimmers with accessible easy-to-setup stair system for above ground pools.
While it certainly doesn't offer anything groundbreaking, it's an excellent choice if you want something simple.
Let's take a more in-depth look at this product.
- ONE PIECE - This one-piece drop-in step offers the ease and installation of an in-pool step system.
- EASY TO INSTALL - With this molded one-piece step all you need is to add the handles and fill the weight container.
- FITS POOL HEIGHTS - Step fits pool wall heights of 48", 52" & 54".
- Made from one piece
- Four steps
- Includes handrails
- Purchase two to create an A-frame stair system
The Champlain Plastics drop-in step is a no-frills, single piece stair system that provides convenient exit and entry to a pool. If you don’t want to waste your time putting multiple pieces together, this is always a suitable option since you only need to attach the rails. Overall, this single piece system provides sturdy exit and entry, but you need to make sure to fill the weight container with sand or gravel to weigh it down. One of the best features associated with this product is how simple it is to make an A-frame step. Just purchase two and attach them together on the edge of your pool!
- Simple product
- Easy to create A-frame using two steps
- Relatively affordable
- Not as premium as some other options on this list
- One piece system may be too rigid for some pool owners
- Limited information made available about weight restrictions
Confer Heavy-Duty A-Frame Above-Ground Pool Ladder
This is another Confer ladder that offers a range of benefits to users.
This is branded as heavy-duty and it provides ample support for its users, but is this really the case?
- Confer A-Frame Above Ground Pool Ladder
- Aesthetically pleasing contemporary design in beautiful beige color
- Large, 5 x 18-inch Comfortreads
- A-frame design
- Includes vinyl stepping pad
- Suitable for pools up to 56"
- Two safety barriers to prevent pool access and behind the ladder access
This is one of the few on the market that provides automatic access to an A-frame. Because you'll only need to purchase one ladder to benefit from the A-frame structure, this is a surprisingly affordable option. It also comes with a vinyl mat to place under the base of the ladder.
One of the other key benefits associated with this design is the safety barrier. It can prevent accessing the steps of the ladder. This can help you protect children from accidentally climbing into the pool. When you unlock the pool, the safety barrier moves and prevents people from getting stuck behind the ladder while in the water.
While these security measures are definitely beneficial, it's still important to never leave children unattended near a pool. And while there are plenty of benefits associated with this product, some users do complain it's not as sturdy as advertised.
- Considering this is an A-frame, it comes at an incredibly competitive price
- Two safety barriers in place
- Comes with a vinyl pad
- Simple to set up
- Some users complain it isn't as sturdy as advertised
Confer Plastics Above Ground Swimming InPool Step & Ladder
This Confer InPool step and ladder product provides users with similar benefits to traditional A-frame ladder systems.
Let's go over the features available with this product.
- NO WORRIES - Make entry and exit from your pool easy with this complete set above ground in-pool step. This unit forms an economical entry and exit system for pools 48...
- A DECK IN THE FUTURE - Includes mounting brackets to safely secure the ladder to your pool or deck. If you don’t have a deck now but think of having one built in the...
- EASY INSTALLATION - This ladder works for most above ground pools with flat bottoms. Snap together pieces makes for an easy installation. To prevent the ladder from...
- Maximum pool or deck height of 60"
- A-frame style ladder and stair system
- Easy installation
- For flat bottom pools
If you're looking for an A-frame style stair system, this is undoubtedly one of the best options on the market. On one side, this product contains steps; on the other is a ladder system. Traditionally, the steps are meant to be inserted into the pool. You can fill them with sand or gravel to keep them weighted down.
The steps have openings that prevent standing water from growing algae in your pool. You'll also benefit from an easy installation process that allows you to snap the entire ladder system together in no time without spending the whole day trying to install it.
While it's safe to say this is an excellent choice if you're in the market for an easy entry and exit system, some users to complain that it's too heavy. The weight may be a safety hazard for young children.
For the side you submerge in the water, the weight limit is 400 lbs. For the side used on the outside of the pool, the weight limit is reduced to 300 lbs.
- Tall or high maximum deck height
- Includes both steps and ladder
- Perfect for those who want a system similar to an A-frame
- Easy to install
- Users complain the product is very heavy
Confer Entry System for Above Ground Pools
This is one of Confer's most extensive options. It provides users with a large, stable means of entry that also has a gate.
Let's check it out!
- Enter and exit your pool with ease this summer.
- All resin Bridge System includes two steps with handrails, gate with latch and lock to limit access to the pool when it is not in use.
- Allows you to connect and enclose two Confer Steps for an economical entry system.
- Comes with gate
- Made from resin
- Includes handrails
- Fits any pool with 48" to 54" in height
- Self-closing feature
- A-frame style
As you can see, this is one of the most advanced ladder systems that you'll find for an above ground pool. If you're looking for a ladder system that has a large gate, this is one of your best options. It's an excellent choice if you have small children. It even locks itself if you let the gate close.
While it's important to never leave a child alone near a pool, this does add an extra layer of protection that can reduce your risk. You'll also benefit from wide steps on both sides of the edge of your pool. If you're looking for a safe, convenient pool ladder, this has more extensive features than many of the competitors.
While some users find it's not as sturdy as initially thought, it's undoubtedly a popular choice with consumers. But if you're looking for cheap pool ladders, this certainly isn't the right option for you. It's one of the most expensive pool ladders currently available on the market.
- Safety gate, which is an excellent feature for children
- A-frame style means you only need to purchase one ladder
- Handrails for extra support
- Gate automatically locks
- A trusted brand in the pool ladder industry
- Extremely expensive compared to other options on this list
- Huge ladder that may not be suitable for some people's taste
Benefits of an Above Ground Pool Ladder
Now that we've taken a look at some of the various ladders you can purchase for your pool, it's time to explore the multiple benefits you'll receive if you invest in one of these products. There are plenty of pool accessories to choose from, but few are as important as the ladder.
The primary benefit associated with a ladder for your pool comes down to safety. Many pools are incredibly tall, and it can be hazardous to enter and exit the pool without a ladder. This is especially true if you have children that can barely reach over the edge of the pool when they're standing up.
As mentioned previously, if you want to enhance the security of your ladder or stair system, it's also critical to consider a gate. Those with small children must consider the potential dangers that an above ground pool can pose. Just as traditional pool owners typically use fences to protect children from pools, using a gate is an excellent security feature for above ground counterparts.
Aside from safety, convenience is also a significant benefit you'll receive from having a stair or ladder system installed in your pool. If you want to exit and enter your above ground pool quickly, this is one of the most cost-effective solutions.
Easier for Guests
If you're someone who enjoys entertaining guests with your pool, having an exit and entry in place is a must. You can't expect everyone to be able to enter an above ground pool without some form of assistance.
Less Stress on Your Above Ground Pool
Lastly, it's critical to consider the amount of stress your body weight can apply to your pool shell. If you're continually placing significant weight on your pool to enter and exit, you'll be creating problems for the overall structure of the pool.
A ladder or stair system creates a much less taxing method for entry and exit. If you've invested a considerable amount in your pool, it's critical to ensure that you take as best care of it as possible. A ladder is one of the many ways you can increase its longevity!
Choose Something Sturdy
If you're looking for something durable, it's essential to choose ladders that are made from the right materials. Most pool ladders are either made from steel, plastic resin, or aluminum. While steel is the strongest of the materials, it also is much heavier than the other options. It can also be much more expensive.
All three of these materials provide ample support for those entering and exiting your pool. Still, if you think the people using your pool are heavier than average, you may want to use a material like steel in your stair or ladder. But be careful, it can heat up in the summer!
Take Your Measurements Seriously
One of the most critical components to consider when deciding on your new ladder is the measurements of your current above ground pool. If you want to ensure that your ladder works correctly, it needs to fit snuggly on the edge of your pool.
If your ladder doesn't fit correctly, it may jolt or move when you put weight onto it. This can cause accidents and may even result in serious injury. For this reason, it's essential to measure your pool before you purchase a ladder. You should also make sure to follow all instructions carefully if you want to avoid problems after installation.
Verdict: Find the Right Ladder for Your Pool
If summer is fast approaching, you may be in the market for new accessories to improve your pool. Whether you're a veteran pool owner, or this is the first time you'll be purchasing an above ground pool, it's critical to buy the items that will make your pool safer and more convenient.
Purchasing a ladder for an above ground pool is a no-brainer. It's quick, affordable, and makes a world of difference to your current setup. Just make sure to consider all the information that you've learned in this guide before you make a purchasing decision. Being an informed consumer is the best way to ensure you get value for money.
If you're in the market for any other pool accessories, make sure to check out some of our other guides. We take an in-depth look at a variety of different products.
Links, prices and images fetched from Amazon PA API. Last updated on 2020-08-09.